Fundamental for connection to the rest of the hilly districts of the city, funicular railways together with the Metropolitan foster the dynamism of Naples. The funicular station, Chiaia and Montesanto serve the Vomero district, while the Mergellina serves as a liaison between Posillipo and the sea.
4 The set of plants runs along 3,200 m of track, partly in tunnel and partly uncovered, and 16 stations. The entire system is used by an average of about 55 thousand passengers per day (13 million annually) for quick movements and targeted. Concise history - At the end of the 800 economic changes in the country provoked a strong recovery in Naples initiatives and investment, which, among other things, made strong construction activity aimed at urban settlements of a certain level in the city center, in the area of Chiaia and Mergellina and on the Vomero hill. The sites began to spring up here and there, along with population growth in those areas: the condition imposed the creation of agile links between the hill and the city center. Thus, in 1880, two engineers from Naples (C.Cigliano and E.Ferrara) studied two systems of mechanical transport with a cable system to connect the Vomero to the city center (Funicular Montesanto) and the low-western area (Chiaia Funicular ) and obtained an agreement by the City for construction. constructions After the end of the IXX century it was not until the second decade of the twentieth century, to see implemented in Naples Funicular other plants. Firstly, one of the so-called Central, made to complete the service of the Chiaia funicular and Montesanto and to connect the hill to the city center. too complex for the Mergellina motivation that led to its construction was the same as the first two funicular railways: the enhancement of the surrounding building plots. FUNICOLARE THE CENTRAL - The Central Funicular , which connects to the Vomero neighborhood of San Ferdinando, was inaugurated on October 28, 1928 to meet the growing mobility needs from the Vomero to the center and vice versa. Its exercise that accompanied the old and Chiaia funicular Montesanto, and the name was due to the intermediate position between the two. The line is approximately 1234 m long, with an average gradient of 12%, and is crossed by 2 trains of 3 cars each, with a maximum capacity of 450 passengers. In April of '97 were finished all the renovations, which concerned carriages and stations.The funicular railway station of Naples is one of the ropeway, in urban areas, more 'important in the world for length, efficiency and capacity of transport. FUNICOLARE OF THE CHIAIA - At the end of 1800 the Vomero hill was hit by the wave of construction which we have spoken, aimed at the transformation of the hill in a residential neighborhood. The funicular of Chiaia and Montesanto would support the mobility of the future new users hills. That Chiaia was the first to come into operation October 15, 1889 and connects Piazza Vanvitelli (interchange with Line 1 of the subway) to Rione Amedeo, in the Chiaia district (interchange with Line 2). Initially designed for steam traction in 1900 the line was fully equipped with an electric traction trains. The line is about 500 m long, with a constant slope of 29% and with 4 stops. And 'crossed by two sets of two cars each with a maximum capacity of 300 passengers. 's first restructuring in 1976 and caused the demolition of the buildings that housed the Liberty upper and lower stations; for over twenty years, the two stations were hosted by complex relief, permanently laid off and replaced by new arenas with nostalgic design highly original forms. The races, interrupted in 2002 for work, resumed in 2004. FUNICOLARE OF THE MONTESANTO - The funicular of Montesanto was inaugurated May 30, 1891, after five years of work and two years after the opening of the funicular of Chiaia. It connects the top of the Vomero (San Martino) with the neighborhood Montecalvario, specifically with Montesanto square, where there is an interchange with the railways Sepsa (Cumana and Circumflegrea) and line 2. funicular is about 824 m long, with an average slope of 20,84%, and is crossed by two trains with two cars each, with a maximum capacity of 300 passengers. A first renovation took place in 1977 and the plant was reopened only in 1984 According to the project there will be a fourth stop in Viale Raffaello where two elevators rise in the tuff up to Castel Sant 'Elmo.Between 2004 and 2005, the plant was closed for upgrading work station less than that now lives next to the lines of Cumana and Circumflegrea. The inauguration of the station in 2008 and restyled once again the flavor of the original architecture Liberty: central portico, the two side turrets and the upper loggia (the building dates back to 1882, is a national monument), with the novelty of the panoramic terrace . FUNICOLARE OF THE MERGELLINA - That is the most recent of Mergellina funicular in Naples. Entry into service May 24, 1931 to facilitate mobility in the new quarters posillipini. Initially privately owned was later taken over by the City. The route crosses private parks and gardens where you can enjoy impressive views. The line is 550 m long, with 5 stops and a lower portion distinct from strong gradient (46%). The exercise is carried out by two trains, each consisting of one car, and a maximum capacity of 60 passengers. The plant has undergone completely renovated in 1990/91 and